Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Our Home

Now the wedding is over, thank you cards are written and sent, Peter and I have been working on putting things away and getting our house to look like home. Just this weekend, we got rid of all the cardboard boxes that plagued our basement floor. You cannot even believe how much cardboard we accumulated from the wedding!! But, it's all worth the hard work. We finally got took the couple hours to clean it up and get rid of it!

So, our house has come a long way and I'll post some pictures so you can see the progress. Some of these pictures are already on my facebook but it can't hurt to post them again on my blog.

So here is a picture of the new addition to our dining room area. Peter and I took the display cabinets that matched the dining room table from my parents house. There is a matching middle piece that goes in between but to allow some space for the person sitting on the end, we decided to put that piece upstairs in the guest bedroom to store sheets and towels for the guest bedroom. We haven't filled the display cabinets completely but they are slowly (but surely) filling up. In the middle, we received these rustic-looking pieces from our registry. The middle piece is a vase (which we will put fake bouquets in according to the season) and on the outside are candle lanterns. They are lanterns (with a hurricane glass around the candle) hanging from a hanger attached to the wall. Because they are long pieces, Peter and I feel they filled the gap in the middle quite nicely. We do like it very much and we're glad they fit so well in that spot. Now, we just need to get some fake autumn flowers to put in the middle. Then it'll be beautiful.

Actually, if I had taken a picture a little further to the left, you would be able to see Peter's wooden clock that his grandfather built for him and his mother custom painted. It really is a magnificent piece and I'm so glad we get to display it so prominently in our house! Shame on me for not taking a picture of it when I had the chance.

Next, is our entry way. When you enter our front door, there is a place to sit when you take off your shoes and place to hang your coat. We actually got these pieces a while ago but just after the wedding, we got the baskets that go with them. The baskets really helped organize our entry way pieces and make them look much neater. In this bench, the left basket holds extra shoes that we use often, the middle basket holds reusable bags and the right basket is reserved for some of my favorite/most used Vera Bradley purses.

To the left is the top piece that accompanies the bottom bench. It currently holds our jackets, and dog leashes! I put my yoga mat on the top, along with a really large umbrella for those wet rainy days. The left basket holds all of our leftover plastic shopping bags (for the times we forget the reusable bags; which happens to be pretty often). We use those bags to pick up dog poo. The left basket holds our beanies and hats for when the winter season comes up. It's a piece that I love so much because it's so functional, yet also pretty. Peter worked hard to put it up!!


Here is the living room section of the house. I'm sure you remember me posting about the LaZBoy recliner (or did I?) and you can see part of the sectional leather sofa we got (which we absolutely love using every single day). But, the curtains are new! On the other side of the room (since this level is so open concept), I painted (Peter helped) an accent wall in the kitchen a deep red. These curtains match the red and really tie the whole room together. The curtains these replaced matched the wall color which made the wall with the fireplace look so drab and monotonous. But, these red curtains not only filter light when they're closed, but they're beautiful! Now, I know I need another set because one curtain per window looks pretty silly, especially when they're open and we're working on that! Once we get the other set, it'll look more complete and stunning!


And here is another major piece. The buffet is a wedding present from Peter's parents. It was handmade from cherry wood with cherry stain. I love putting dishes away into the buffet because every time I open the doors, it smells fresh. It really is a beautiful piece and I'm so glad we were able to get it. The shelves above it, Peter installed. They are two ledges (the small ones at the bottom) and the top one is an actual shelf. We didn't know how to put on the top shelf at first but Peter thought the swords would be a good place holder until we found something better or more appropriate. Who knows, maybe we'll pick something up from Japan that will fit there perfectly. The table runner on the buffet is from one of Peter's groomsmen, Bob and the vases are once again from my parents house. I took those along with Buddha. The bowl is the middle was also a wedding gift and is currently holding all of the leftover Hershey kisses (that I keep snacking on).

Here are the dishes Peter and I registered for. They are so beautiful and we love them to pieces! The bowls are a little smaller than we'd like, but that's okay. We have dinner plates, salad plates and bowls as a matching set. They don't have matching serving sets like serving platters and bowls, but that's okay because we already got some beautiful serving pieces (like to the one to the right). The serving bowl to the right is large, but it's so pretty. It's too bad the other pieces went out of stock before we could buy the serving platter that matched it. But, we did get smaller bowls that are the same design. This big bowl is the bowl that's currently filled with delicious Hershey kiss snackeroos!


These plaques are also decorating our house. The Ocean City plaque (which documents where we got engaged) was given to us by my best friend/maid of honor and is displayed on the ledge I mentioned earlier. The SOHL plaque that my sister got us for the wedding is going to be hanging across from the entry way furniture at the front door so it'll be the first thing everyone sees when they enter our home.




















And because they are so adorable, here are the pugs, Otto (fawn) & Momoko (black).

2 comments:

  1. Very nice stuff! Now we need a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Baby won't come for a little while; I already have three to take care of! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete