Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Halloween!...Almost.

So, its not often that Peter and I have a free weekend. When we do, we take advantage of it! We either sit around and actually get some bonding time in, or we clean the house (which is also good bonding time), play games together or we do our own individual activities. This weekend was a weekend of individual activities. I carved pumpkins and made some delicious food while Peter washed and waxed the RS and the Wagon in time for the harsh winter season.

Cooking has really become a hobby for me. I do it on free weekends only and I like to use all of the tools we got from the wedding and I love to try new recipes. I love to entertain. All in all, it's fun for me. Exhausting, but fun. The end result is definitely worth all the work. This weekend, I made some pulled pork and roasted some pumpkin seeds. One of my best friends from college salted and baked some pumpkin seeds and shared them with me in college-ever since, I've been hooked. I was going to make cream puffs, but the lack of a pastry bag held me back. Roasting the pork shoulder in the oven for 5+ hours gave me the opportunity to use our new roasting pan! I love it and so does Peter (because of clean up!). Peter's never been a huge fan of pork but he l
oves pulled pork. I made enough for him to bring it to lunch for two weeks. That's something I love about Peter...he can eat the same thing for two weeks straight and not get sick of it.

Also in my free time, I carved two pumpkins! It's the first time I carved pumpkins since I was REALLY young and honestly, I don't even really remember carving pumpkins when I was young. I just remember stuffing newspaper into orange garbage bags that looked like carved pumpkins... It was quite the process but I got all the goop and seeds out of the pumpkins and started the stenciling. This year, I decided to do Star Wars pumpkins. Next year, I think I'll do Transformers...

Well, I started with the stormtrooper pumpkin which in hindsight I have found that was probably the poor choice. It was the harder of the two but the stormtrooper was more for me than Peter and since it was my first time carving, I didn't want to mess up his pumpkin!! Took me 4+ hours to get this pumpkin done but I'm rather satisfied.



















Peter's pumpkin was special. I did it on Sunday after I recovered from the first pumpkin. I didn't realize how sore I would be after simply carving a pumpkin but I guess all of that leaning over and scraping and awkward positions took a toll on my old body as I woke up Sunday full of aches and pains. I thought I went to the gym in my sleep or something, I was so achy. Well, Sunday, I did the Mandalorian insignia on Peter's pumpkin. For people not as big a Star Wars fan as my beloved, the Mandalorian insignia was used for a rouge army where both Jango Fett and Boba Fett sported their armour. Jango didn't have the Mandalorian insignia sported anywhere on his armour but Boba certainly did. So while people wondered why I didn't do a Boba Fett face for Peter, they didn't realize that I DID do something Boba Fett related. Peter loves the Mandalorian insignia...thank goodness it was so much easier to carve.


Hope you enjoy the pictures! We'll see what next year yields!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment